Venue: Wells - Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services Team
Chairman's Introduction PDF 90 KB
Announcement on procedural matters.
The Chairman opened the meeting, introduced members of the Sub Committee panel and the officers in attendance. The applicant and representatives were also introduced.
The Chairman then outlined the procedures for the hearing.
Declarations of Interest: PDF 66 KB
To receive any declarations of interest by members in items on the agenda. For any advice on declarations of interest, please contact the Monitoring Officer.
No declarations of interest were made by members at the meeting.
Review of a current Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Driver's Licence
- Licensing Officer, Mr Trevor Horner outlined the content of the report as set out in the agenda. This also included the Exempt Appendices which the Panel had the opportunity to read in full.
- The Sub-Committee were asked to determine whether or not the applicant was a fit and proper person to hold a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver’s License.
- The Sub-Committee were then able to ask the Licensing Officer questions relevant to the case.
- A witness had provided a written statement which provided details of the incident. The witness then joined the meeting (via teams) and made a verbal statement. The Sub-Committee were then able to ask further questions and seek clarification as necessary.
- The applicant was then given the opportunity to make a statement and responded to the questions raised.
- The Members of the Licensing Sub-Committee then retired to discuss the application accompanied by the Council’s legal representative and the administrator for the meeting.
- The hearing was reconvened and the Chairman read out the Sub-Committee’s decision. The decision by the Sub-Committee was that it was not appropriate to take any further action at this time.
RESOLVED – That in accordance with the provisions of the Tunbridge Wells Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy, Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and other relevant legislation, the Council is satisfied that the driver is a fit and proper person for the purposes of continuing to hold a hackney carriage/private hire driver’s license and no further action is to be taken at this time.