Agenda and draft minutes

Joint Transportation Board - Monday, 3rd July, 2023 6.00 pm

Download documents using the MOD.GOV app

Venue: Virtual Meeting - Online. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services Team 


No. Item


Apologies pdf icon PDF 28 KB

To receive any apologies for absence.

Additional documents:


Apologies were received from Councillor Atkins.


County Councillors Holden and Bruneau were not present at the meeting.


Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To receive any declarations of interest by Members in items on the agenda. For any advice on declarations of interest, please contact the Monitoring Officer before the meeting.

Additional documents:


There were no disclosable pecuniary interests or other significant interests declared at the meeting


Notification of Persons registered to speak pdf icon PDF 30 KB

To note any members of the Council or Public wishing to speak, of which due notice has been given in accordance with Council Meeting Procedure Rule 18 and 19, and which items they wish to speak on.

Additional documents:


The following people had registered to speak:


Agenda Item 6 – Lorna Blackmore

Agenda Item 7 – Sally Atkinson, Jim Key, Pippa Collard and Cllr Justine Rutland


Minutes of the meeting dated 30 January 2023 pdf icon PDF 159 KB

To approve the minutes of a previous meeting as a correct record. The only issue relating to the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.

Additional documents:


Members reviewed the minutes.  No amendments were proposed.


RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting dated 30 January 2023 be approved as a correct record.



Minutes of the Meeting dated 17 April 2023 pdf icon PDF 188 KB

Additional documents:


Members reviewed the minutes.  No amendments were proposed.


RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting dated 17 April 2023 be approved as a correct record.



Permanent Traffic Regulation Order - High Street, Tunbridge Wells pdf icon PDF 207 KB

Additional documents:


Registered Speaker – Lorna Blackmore


Hilary Smith, TWBC Economic Development Manager, introduced her report and provided a verbal update on consultation responses:


Questions and discussion from Members included:

-       It was clarified that the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) and consultation only covered the one-way system on the High Street, not the other elements such as street furniture.

-       The scheme was deemed a good idea by Members generally.

-       It was noted that the TRO scheme improved the traffic flow and helped businesses on the High Street.  The public were used to the changes and the TRO had created a nicer environment for eating out by creating one way traffic, which improved the High Street greatly.

-       In relation to ongoing solutions to issues such as cars parking on corners and problematic junctions, TWBC were continuing to work with the Business Improvement District and KCC to make improvements to the scheme.

-       Restrictions were already in place on parking on corners, and if amendments to restrictions were necessary this would be looked at by both TWBC and KCC through the application process.

-       The effect of the one-way system on the junction with Vale Road could be looked at in the future, but it was reiterated that the report being discussed was quite specific regarding the TRO and that there was a long-term project underway with KCC on improvements to the area’s traffic.

-       Finances played a large part in any decisions made, and questions as to who would fund ongoing works needed to be answered as KCC’s budget could not stretch too far after a £47 million overspend last year and overspend pressures in the first quarter of the current year, so ways of saving money were assessed and budgeted and funds would not be made available, so if the TRO was supported and made permanent, it was possible TWBC would have to fund this.

-       The BID had so far been very supportive of the scheme.



1. That the Joint Transport Board considered representations made in response to the public consultation.

2. That the Board endorsed the making of a permanent Traffic Regulation Order for the northbound one-way restriction in the High Street, Royal Tunbridge Wells between its junctions with Mount Sion and Vale Road.



Update on Public Realm 2 Bus Gate pdf icon PDF 28 KB

Additional documents:


Registered Speakers – Sally Atkinson, Jim Key, Pippa Collard and Cllr Justine Rutland


Before passing over to the reporting Officer, the Chair clarified that the update asked of the Officer for the JTB was purely regarding the enforcement, but that Members could subsequently discuss the scheme more broadly.


TWBC Parking Manager John Strachan provided a figure of 25,373 for Penalty Notices issued from 1st April 2023 until 3rd July. Furthermore:

-       He highlighted a downward trend, with numbers of Penalty Notices issued reducing each week - when numbers were first being monitored, in excess of 1000 vehicles a day were driving through the restriction. This was now approximately 200 vehicles a day.

-       The restriction had been in place for a couple of years with signage and during the Pandemic enforcement had been suspended.

-       Commencement of warning notices being issued began on 20th February 2023 and approximately 18,000 warning notices were issued by 31st March 2023. 


Discussion and questions from Members included the following:

-       When discussing Department of Transport guidance mentioned by one of the registered speakers (questioning the effectiveness of the scheme by monitoring Penalty Notices that were issued, and if disproportionately high requiring a requiring a review of the scheme)

-       It was noted by the Officer that TWBC acted as the agent for KCC in carrying out the enforcement for the scheme. KCC had given notice that they would be taking enforcement in-house from 1st April 2024. He also noted that these types of schemes took time to settle down and Department of Transport advice suggested these type of schemes took around 6 months to bed in. KCC advice had been that they would probably wait a year before considering any significant reviews.

-       It was felt that unless a review could be pushed forward and the residents consulted with, the residents were being batted back and forth between KCC and TWBC.

-       It was then suggested that at this moment in time, the scheme lay entirely with TWBC and KCC did not have any control of the scheme. The KCC Director of Highways had stated it was up to TWBC if they wished to cancel the scheme or make adjustments due to the issues presented by residents, but that they solely benefited from the scheme as all fines went to TWBC, not KCC. KCC were not able to intervene until 2024. KCC were responsible for the signage and if TWBC needed to change highway layouts they would need to go into consultation with KCC who would have to agree it, but the fines and collections of fines could be stopped tomorrow by TWBC if they wished to do so. This was disputed by the TWBC officer, who stated that KCC had informed them of their intention to take on enforcement of Public Realm 1 & 2 in-house, and that it was at KCC’s request that they reimplemented Public Realm 2 in February 2023. He highlighted that KCC was the Highway  ...  view the full minutes text for item TB7/23


Red Brick Footways pdf icon PDF 77 KB

Additional documents:


Julian Cook, KCC Highways Manager, introduced the report as set out in the agenda.


Questions and discussion from Members included the following:

-       The work of Julian Cook and his team to secure the funding was commended.

-       Any new application would require crossovers to be made out of red bricks, but tt was possible for residents with previously tarmacked crossovers to apply for red brick replacements, at their own cost. There was to be no retrospective enforcement on crossovers already tarmacked.

-       Implementation was set for January 1st 2024 so that Quality Assurance specifications could be completed which required, for instance, enhanced  deeper depths of sub-base to ensure quality and longevity. As a result,  all contractors completing the works would have all the necessary certificates to work on the public highway. Works would then be checked by KCC, with an extended warranty period that would be the responsibility of the householder and the contractor that they used. A similar process was currently in place for tarmac crossovers in terms of ensuring satisfactory work.

-       The quality of bricks to be used in the paving was set out in specifications to ensure safety and consistency. They were Keswick Bricks, which had been used in the St John’s Road and Madeira Park area and were the requirement within the specifications.

-       The weight of Electric Vehicles were damaging the original clay red bricks, but the new red brick specifications were of greater depth to protect them. Some tarmac would be needed in areas where Utilities were closer to the surface, due to the greater depth of the bricks.


RESOLVED – The report was noted.


Highway Works Programme pdf icon PDF 309 KB

Additional documents:


Julian Cook, Highways Manager, introduced the report as set out in the agenda.


Questions and discussion from Members included:

-       In relation to the Badsell Road/Maidstone Road design process (p37 – Developer Funded Works), the report stated that it was about to start and when asked when the first design would be available for review by residents, Mr Cook stated he would need to speak with colleagues in the Agreements team for specific details and report back.

-       Western Road surfacing works (p27) had been partially carried out recently but was cancelled, or partly-cancelled, due to water works. When asked to confirm when works were likely to recommence, Mr Cook agreed to speak with colleagues and report back.

-       In regards to St John’s Road new access for residential developments (p37), the area was very heavily trafficked by pedestrians and was also a very wide highway, which was thought meant that a bell mouth junction was not permitted and had not been mentioned in the report. It was clarified that some types of vehicles needed to be accommodated, but this would be checked to confirm what type of junction would be delivered.


Topics for Future Meetings pdf icon PDF 28 KB

To agree any topics for future meetings, of which prior notice must be sent to the Chairman and Democratic Services Officer no later than 4pm on the working day before the meeting. There can not be any substantive debate/discussion or any decision on any topics raised, except to agree whether the topic may come forward in future.

Additional documents:


Discussion included the following:

-       Public Realm 2 was proposed as an ongoing item and it was agreed that a quarterly report on enforcement and numbers would be beneficial, as well providing a forum for dialogue with residents.

-       Crossovers were discussed, and KCC Officer Julian Cook offered to provide the link for the KCC website with all the information on Vehicle Crossovers / Dropped Kerbs. Apply for a dropped kerb or access point - Kent County Council. The specific KCC dimensions / requirements for a dropped Kerb were to be found under read the application guidance (PDF, 564.8 KB).



Date of Next Meeting pdf icon PDF 28 KB

To note that the next scheduled meeting will be held on Monday 2 October 2023 at 6.00pm.

Additional documents:


The next meeting was scheduled for Monday 2nd October at 6pm