Agenda and draft minutes

Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Monday, 14th June, 2021 6.30 pm

Download documents using the MOD.GOV app

Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Royal Tunbridge Wells, TN1 1RS

Contact: Democratic Services Team 

Media

Items
No. Item

OSC1/21

Apologies for Absence pdf icon PDF 28 KB

To receive any apologies for absence.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no absent members.

OSC2/21

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To receive any declarations of interest by Members in items on the agenda. For any advice on declarations of interest, please contact the Monitoring Officer before the meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no disclosable pecuniary or other significant interests declared at the meeting.

OSC3/21

Notification of Persons Registered to Speak pdf icon PDF 29 KB

To note any Visiting Members or members of the public wishing to speak, of which due notice has been given in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 18 or 19, and which item(s) they wish to speak on.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillor McDermott, as the Portfolio Holder for Planning and Transportation, was in attendance to present under OSC9/21.

 

There were no Visiting Members or members of the public registered to speak.

OSC4/21

Minutes of the meeting dated 18 January 2021 pdf icon PDF 192 KB

(Deferred from 29 March) To approve the minutes of a previous meeting as a correct record. The only issue relating to the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No amendments were proposed.

 

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting dated 18 January 2021 be approved as a correct record.

OSC5/21

Minutes of the meeting dated 12 March 2021 pdf icon PDF 155 KB

(Deferred from 29 March) To approve the minutes of a previous meeting as a correct record. The only issue relating to the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No amendments were proposed.

 

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting dated 12 March 2021 be approved as a correct record.

OSC6/21

Minutes of the meeting dated 29 March 2021 pdf icon PDF 230 KB

To approve the minutes of a previous meeting as a correct record. The only issue relating to the minutes that can be discussed is their accuracy.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

No amendments were proposed.

 

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting dated 29 March 2021 be approved as a correct record.

OSC7/21

Items Called-In pdf icon PDF 67 KB

To consider any items ‘Called-In’ under Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rule 13, details of which will have been circulated to Members under separate cover.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no items which had been called-in.

OSC8/21

Annual Report of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee 2019-20 and 2020-21 pdf icon PDF 120 KB

To consider and decide on the recommendations set out in the associated report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mark O’Callaghan, Scrutiny and Engagement Officer, introduced the report set out in the agenda, comments included:

·         The report covered a 2-year period and was intended to provide a summary of main items of business over the reporting period.

 

Discussion included:

·         Late delivery of the report was noted.

 

No amendments were proposed.

 

RESOLVED – That the Annual Report of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee 2019-20 and 2020-21, as set out at Appendix A to the report, be approved.

OSC9/21

Portfolio Holder Update: Planning and Transportation pdf icon PDF 122 KB

To consider and decide on the recommendations set out in the associated report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillor McDermott, Portfolio Holder for Planning and Transportation, introduced the report, comments included:

·         All areas of responsibility within the portfolio were in some way related to the ongoing work on the Local Plan.

·         Delivery of the report was at short notice due to only receiving the invitation shortly after the Annual Meeting of the Council. He had expected the new Leader to be first to be called.

 

Discussion included –

A26 Improvements:

·         Government had expressed a desire to achieve an increasing modal shift towards walking and cycling over the next 10-20 years.

·         There had been two rounds of funding under the Emergency Active Travel scheme but the Council had only been successful in the first round. Members had been advised that the partly unspent budget from A26 improvement works had counted against the Council in the second round.

·         £623k of the original £1.8m budget for the improvement of the London Road/Speldhurst Road/Yew Tree Road and additional works for the installation of a phase 1 cycle route along the A26 remained unspent.

·         The Council had proposed to KCC to submit a bid to retain the remaining funds. With advice from KCC, the Council had worked up proposals for the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) for the funding responsibility to be transferred to the Council. KCC Officers had advised that SELEP would not accept proposals for sections already delivered by KCC. A bid to SELEP for improvements to the A26 for Birchwood Avenue to Mabledon had been submitted, a decision was expected in early July 2021.

·         A wider scheme for delivery of a cycle route along the whole route had been rejected as the overall timescale was too long. SELEP was not prepared to wait for future supplementary S.106 contributions from developments along the route.

·         Only small scale schemes would be considered by SELEP as they had expressed the desire for schemes which could be implemented quickly. If successful the proposed scheme would need to be completed by September 2022

·         Although the aspiration for a full cycle route along the A26 was long-standing, KCC had ruled out certain sections as they were either unsafe or too narrow.

·         Work was in accordance with the Council long-standing desire for a segregated cycle route. The Council’s consultants PJA had been engaged to support the work of the Economic Development team to enable the Council to work on the A26 scheme and to provide expert challenge to KCC as the Highway Authority. These plans had enabled the current SELEP bid and would form the basis of future work when funding opportunities arose.

·         Easier sections of the cycle route had not been implemented as KCC were unwilling to invest in a piecemeal scheme.

·         At the time the report was drafted there was the possibility that the £623k may be transferred to the Borough. This had now been returned by KCC to the government and the bid to SELEP was technically new funding.

·         The scheme as submitted to SELEP was for £623k and may be supplemented by  ...  view the full minutes text for item OSC9/21

OSC10/21

Work Programme pdf icon PDF 44 KB

To consider the Committee’s future work programme.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman, Councillor Thomson, invited topics for the work programme noting the continuing pressures on the Councils resources and suggesting that proposals be collected and a proposed schedule be put together for consideration at a later date.

 

Comments included:

·         Waste collection service – it was proposed to bring forward the request to the Portfolio Holder for Environment to attend the next meeting.

·         Cleanliness at the Council’s leisure centres, particularly in Cranbrook, and an examination of how the money effectively subsidising the centres was used.

·         Supply and demand for social rented housing including details of waiting times and availability of appropriately sized properties.

·         Review of the delivery of the leisure contract as a whole and any outstanding financial obligations.

·         The Committee could require any Portfolio Holder to report to the Committee but scheduling would need to be mutually agreed. The Committee did not have the power to require attendance on a particular date.

OSC11/21

Urgent Business pdf icon PDF 28 KB

To consider any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent, for the reasons to be stated, in accordance with Section 100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There was no urgent business for consideration.

OSC12/21

Date of the next meeting pdf icon PDF 28 KB

To note that the next scheduled meeting is Monday 26 July 2021.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The next meeting was scheduled for Monday 26 July 2021.