To consider and provide a recommendation to Cabinet on the proposals set out in the attached report.
Jane Fineman, Head of Finance and Procurement introduced this Report that summarised the actual and forecast outturn expenditure on capital schemes to 30 September 2019 and included the following:
- Cabinet had previously approved Capital Expenditure of £22.681m for 2019/20.
- Since this approval £1.244m of Projects had been rescheduled from 2018/19 to 2019/20 and approvals of £28,000 were made in Quarter 1. £1.7m of expenditure was requested in this report for 2019/20.
- In addition the following allocations had been made:
o £769,000 for beam and concrete repairs to the Royal Victoria Place car park;
o £520,000 for the purchase of Tonbridge and Malling Waste Bins and Food Caddies (with the entire cost to be recharged back to Tonbridge and Malling);
o £200,000 to deliver interest free loans to lower income families and landlords for better energy efficiency. The loans would be repaid when the property was sold.
o £80,000 for CCTV to be installed in the Crescent Road, Great Hall and Torrington Road car parks; and
o £56,000 for a new Crematorium Management Software Package.
- The Report also requested that £4.8m be rescheduled from 2019/20 to 2020/21.
- In addition the following proposed expenditure had been deferred:
o £2.962m for the Crescent Road car park extension;
o £1m for sports sites acquisitions;
o £588,000 for the building of the Benhall Mill Depot;
o £120,000 for the Assembly Hall Fire Escape; and
o £44,000 for the resurfacing of the West Station Coach Park
- The Report also included an additional £1.593m in the budget for 2021 that was approved by Cabinet for the Amelia Scott Development.
- To note that the forecast outturn in the Report still included the Calverley Square project as the decision to stop the scheme was taken after 30 September 2019.
- Subject to approval, the total forecast capital spend for 2019/20 would be £20.866m.
Discussion and responses to the member questions included the following:
- A decision on the extension of the Crescent Road car park was due to be submitted to Cabinet in due course, but as no decision had yet been taken the allocated funding would remain in the Capital Plan.
RESOLVED – That the recommendations to Cabinet set out in the report be supported.